ChildSavers here help with resources for child care programs in Virginia during COVID-19.
That is the message we want all those caring for children to know and remember in the upcoming weeks. Our Child Development Services staff is working remotely to allow for social distancing. This will keep a smaller number of individuals in the building so that children who utilize our mental health services can still be seen. Keep in mind that if you need us, we are just a call away!
Resources For Child Care Providers from ChildSavers
Our knowledgeable staff is working on providing some additional resources to you, such as:
- ChildSavers’ Child Development Services Facebook Group – A private platform for providers to share ideas and ask questions during the Coronavirus outbreak.
- Free over-the-phone coaching – We understand that you may not have time at this moment to research things. Let us do the footwork! Call us at 804-591-3919.
- Continued participation in our CDA class – ChildSavers is offering CDA training remotely online. Keep working on your CDA modules and we’ll see you in class online! Give us a call for more information.
- Upcoming training: Using Social Media and Virtual Platforms to Stay Connected – For those that do not have social media or have not yet worked with virtual platforms, ChildSavers is hosting an online training to help you stay connected during this time period. Details coming soon.
Additional Trauma-Informed Resources for Providers
The Virginia Department of Social Services has incredible resources regarding social distancing and sanitizing, but little on social-emotional wellbeing for children and providers during this tough time. Our response? Jackie Burgeson, our Trauma and Resiliency Specialist, recommends the following resource list in regards to talking with children and helping them through this critical moment in history.
- Crisis and Disaster Preparedness from Kaplan Learning Company
- How to talk to children about the Coronavirus from Good Housekeeping
- Tips for managing screen time during quarantine
- Fun games for family walks from Very Well Family
- Rick Hanson, Ph.D. has provided a page of free resources with the reminder to be benevolent
- Explaining social distancing to children from Forbes
Food Resources for Providers in Central Virginia
- Richlands Dairy: Curbside pick-up available from 460 Cox Road, Blackstone, VA 23824 – (434) 294-8259 to place an order. Delivery areas includes Richmond, Farmville, Chesterfield, Colonial Heights, and Amelia. Call (434) 233-3014 to place delivery orders.
- Homestead Creamery: Home delivery to the Roanoke/Lynchburg area (540) 719-1020 or email@example.com or homesteadcreameryinc.com/home-delivery.
- Breweries Dairy: Delivery to Tidewater-area as far east as Williamsburg (Richmond location closed).
- Smokehouse Restaurant: East End of Henrico open for orders at (804) 322-7400.
- Tom Leonard’s Farmer’s Market (Short Pump): Store is fully-stocked with meats/fresh produce/milk/grains.
- Cavalier Produce: Customers call (800) 394-4549 between 8 AM and 2 PM. Same-day pickup is available at the company’s Louisa warehouse in the Ferncliff Business Park off Interstate 64 from 2 to 4 PM. Satellite pickup locations will be available in the Richmond region and in the Charlottesville area on Wednesdays and Fridays beginning on April 1, 2020. Curbside pickup locations in the Richmond area will be available from 4 to 6 PM at the Boathouse restaurant in Rocket’s Landing, the Boathouse Sunday Park restaurant in Chesterfield County, and at Red Salt Chophouse & Sushi restaurant in the Green Gate development in western Henrico County.
- The Market at 25th: Shop Online. Free Delivery. No Service Fee.
- Food Lion: Online ordering available. Store pick-up $1.99 or delivery $3.99.
- ALDI: Delivery available/Food supply replenished every two weeks on Mondays.
- Kroger: Pick-up available.
- Walmart Grocery: Pick-up and delivery available.
- Fresh Market: Delivery available.
- Publix: Pick-up and delivery available.
- Wegmans: Pick-up or delivery available.
- Lidl: Delivery available.
- Whole Foods: Order online via Amazon. Delivery available.
- Seasonal Roots: Home delivery available.
Additional Food Resources and Ideas:
Contact Ann Kardos at (804) 752-7171 ext. 734. If you are a current customer, she will review your menu with you and assist in making changes. She is also familiar with CACFP guidelines and delivers with minimum orders of $650.00 (could change). In stock: Milk, dairy products, fresh fruit, most food categories, most paper supplies, but she is limiting the amount ordered per home/center.
We care about our customers, employees, and communities. We are proud to partner with organizations that make a positive impact on kids’ health and wellness in the communities that we work and play in — that’s why we’ve introduced ALDI Smart Kids: an easy online form where organizations that are focused on youth health and wellness may apply for monetary and in-kind support from ALDI. Please visit aldismartkids.com for a program overview, guidelines for funding and to apply for an ALDI Smart Kids grant!
Applications for support from the ALDI Smart Kids program are accepted between February 1 – December 15 each year. Applications are reviewed as they are received and we’ll make every effort to review and respond to all requests in a timely manner. Due to the high volume of applications received, requests should be submitted six weeks prior to the date the contribution or donation is needed. Decisions on ALDI Smart Kids program’s grant recipients are made at the regional level, on a case-by-case basis. If your organization is selected, you will be notified by an ALDI representative via email. Organizations that have been denied funding previously may reapply after six months.
Small Business Loan application: disasterloan.sba.gov/ela/Declarations/Index
Ask Neighbors and Families: When you cannot leave your house or center, ask your parents to stop by the store before picking up or dropping off their child, or ask a neighbor. Be sure to give a list of supplies needed. It is hard to leave early in the morning when shelves are stocked at most stores and at night supplies have been depleted.
Link to stores “Off the Path” that are selling supplies: files.constantcontact.com/9f01a5c9701/dec06514-4a5d-4f4e-9ea8-c2733cf791bd.pdf
Search for FREE or reduced costs for Medical Care, Food, Job Training and More: ymcarichmond.auntbertha.com
Food and Nutrition Access: Text “FOOD” or “COMIDA” to 877-877 to find a feeding site near you. These sites are available to all children 0-18 years old.
If you are having specific issues or need ideas, please let us know. Our team will research, create, and share information with you. No topic is too tough!
Last but not least, ChildSavers would like to give a big thank you to all the programs that are providing care for our working families. Without you, this would be impossible. You are important, you are resilient, and you are essential!